Tuesday 14 August 2012

I'm finally making a post about LZP

I've been avoiding the internet a little... after a week on holiday -where I had access to the internet, but no desire to use it- being online again has been a bit of a shock to the system. I had so much to catch up on that I switched off and decided to come back to it later - knowing I needed to write some words about Little Zine Party pretty soon.

Well, it was a success I think. Perhaps a small one.

I'll kick off with the negatives, I feel there could be more of them, unfortunately. 

- I put myself under a fair bit of pressure, and freaked out at every opportunity in the days leading up.
- When we got to the venue I was a bit disorganised. I felt kind of shy and unable to make any decisions, and it took me a while to ask for more tables in the room. I know that sounds pretty pathetic.

- Not as many people showed up as I had expected. Originally I had made the event 'invite only' because I didn't want to be overwhelmed with people... I then made the invite 'open' and more people clicked attend, yet did not. I am well aware that 99.9% of the time people who click 'attending' will not attend. No biggie... yet I felt guilty for the zinesters who had travelled hours and hours to table.

- Some creeps graced us with their presence... again, due to shyness and feeling uncomfortable I kind of ignored them and hoped they'd go away... I realise now that I had every right to ask them to leave, and should have. I wanted to be open minded and thought they'd take something positive away from the party, but it was then obvious they just wanted to judge. So to Everyone who attended, and knows what I am talking about, I'm really sorry I wasn't on top of this.

Every negative has a positive, or something...

+ It was truly wonderful to finally meet all the zinesters I talk to online/write letters to. Everyone was AWESOME and I was so happy to have them there.

+ The workshop went okay (after said creeper left) I think some people went away feeling inspired to make their own zines, and that is what it's all about!

+ We all got to trade and buy some rad zines. I left with a nice o' stack which I'm still working through.

+ Really, it was just a lovely afternoon gathering. Despite the lack people streaming through, everyone actually had the time to talk to each other and have fun.

So that is all I have to say really. When I left part of me really worried that everyone would have regretted coming, I worried it was a huge flop and people were just being polite. I'm worrier, hah. I really don't know if I'll put Little Zine Party on again. I'd like to, but I think I'd need more help in organising it all and advertising it sooner. It was hard to think of it all on top of working full time and planning our holiday the following day. I also need to learn how to tell people I am uncomfortable, and know it is okay to ask people to leave if I don't feel they should be there.

In other news. Elderflower Tea #3 is available at Vampire Sushi and Marching Stars. I have about 4 copies left if anyone wants to trade. I also completed my 24hr zine 'Rain in July' - a small fanzine/scrapbook about my love for Miranda July. This won't be going to distro, but you can buy a copy from me for 50p or trade.

I plan on writing Elderflower Tea #4 soon. This one will be about our trip to Barcelona. I was very good and documented each day, so I'm looking forward to putting it together in a sort of memoir/travel zine.

Lastly...

A HUUUUUGE THANK YOU! TO EVERYONE WHO CAME TO LITTLE ZINE PARTY! It really wouldn't have happened without you! Thank you for travelling, tabling and supporting me <3

5 comments:

  1. If you do put another one on, I'll be there. :)

    Also, UGH CREEPSTERS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 If I ever see those creepsters again they will definitely get bitch face.

      Delete
  2. It was AMAZING! I don't even care about creepy people being mean! I had a great time and it was so lovely to meet everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Rebecca :) They didn't ruin the day, I just would have liked it more if they weren't there! haha.

      Delete
  3. love your blog :) I wish I could go to a zine party, that sounds awesome! xx

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete